Tuesday 22 December 2009

Snow is falling

And so are pine needles; on my living room floor! This is a strange experience. I have been in the US for the "holidays" before, but just as a visitor. This is the first time I have actually experienced the entire thing, as a person who lives here (abeit non-permanently) and it is all making me miss the UK and its christmas spirit. Despite the festitivity everywhere, I am noticing subtle and not so subtle cultural differences. One main thing is that in the UK, things are predominantly still "christmas", whilst over here, in an excellently pc manner, all religious approaches to the holidays are embraced in an equal manner. Which I think is great. But it also feels strange to me, being so embroiled in "christmas" for my entire life. So, I have been feeling some pangs for Britain.
So much of christmas in the UK usually annoys me, but I have found myself buying a really awful christmas cd; and hunting high and low for mince pies (omnipresent in the UK and something of an expensioso gourmet item over here!!!). Very amusing to my family who cannot believe that mince pies could be so rare. Steve actually found some in the international supermarket in Charlottesville (where we visited last week), and I am going to (attempt to) make some prior to our festive party, which will now take place on 2nd January. It was supposed to happen on saturday (19th) but we have had a poorly Sienna so we had to move it back a couple of weeks.
Still have a few prezzies to purchase, so will need to be zooping around a little today and tomorrow. And then we are off to Winston Salem to spend christmas eve and christmas with Harald and Vickie and Lena, Steve's parents and Vickie's parents. We are having Italian Christmas; with fish on christmas eve and lasagne on christmas day. Then, Steve and I are going to cook British Christmas dinner on saturday or sunday in sunny Reidsville (so, I will get my brussells sprouts! Steve thinks noone else will eat them, but maybe sienna will be a fan?!?!?!).
Generally, Miss Sienna is getting very excited about christmas; which is so gorgeous to watch. I cannot wait to see her open her presents!!
Missing British friends and family a LOT; so sending you all a massive christmas hug and a happy new year for 2010.

No comments: